Cinnamon! It's not just for pumpkin pie and coffee cake. This spice has been used in Chinese Medicine for thousands of years for it's many healing properties. It is a primary ingredient in hundreds of herbal formulas that treat everything from upset stomach to insomnia.
According to the Materia Medica, it's physiological actions include: promoting circulation, warming the body and extremities, generating fluids and moistening dryness, warming the blood, unblocking a stifling sensation in the chest and together with other herbs, it can improve your resistance to seasonal illness.
Some of cinnamon's most often medicinal uses are for:
- The common cold
- Joint pain, arthritis
- Chest pain and palpitations
- Upset stomach, nausea, vomiting
- Painful periods or lack of periods
- Poor circulation
- Hot flashes, spontaneous sweating
So use Cinnamon freely this holiday season- it will warm you from the inside!
Try making some Chai Tea at home:
1. Combine: cinnamon sticks, cloves, black peppercorns, sliced ginger and cardamom.
2. Add water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and steep 2 black tea bags for 4-5 minutes.
4. Stir in some sugar and milk (can also use an alternate milk of your choice.)
5. Then strain and enjoy!