If your last night out or dinner party turned out to be a little too festive, you might have found yourself wondering, “how can I get rid of this hangover?” Or better yet, prevent one from happening in the first place.
Obviously, moderation is the best prevention, but some people find themselves a bit over-served, while others are just sensitive to alcohol and can feel poorly with as little as 1-2 drinks.
But, there are many things you can do when getting ready for your night out that can counter the ill effects of alcohol and leave you waking refreshed and ready to go the next day.
1) Choose your “pre-game” snack wisely. Many people think that eating carbs somehow “absorbs” alcohol, but this is not so. Instead, you want to have some proteins and healthy fats to slow the absorption of alcohol into the bloodstream.
Go ahead and have the sliders (no bun!) with avocado or some wings!
2) Anti-oxidants. They help prevent the free radical damage to the cells that account for feeling ill after drinking. Take antioxidants before and during the evening, such as:
-Vitamin C (500 mg capsule)
-Vitamin B (especially B1, Thiamine- 100 mg capsule)
-NAC (N-Acetyl Cystine- 600 mg capsule)
3) Hydrate with electrolytes. We all know that water will help to dilute the alcohol as it enters the bloodstream as well as counter the dehydrating effects of alcohol. However, the electrolytes that are lost are a big part of dehydration. Starting the night off with some coconut water and drinking it throughout the evening will counter this. (In a pinch, you could also try Gatorade or Pedialyte.)
4) Drink clear alcohol. In general, Clear beverages such as Vodka process a bit more cleanly. Having mixers that don’t contain sugar will also help, so choose the Vodka with Soda Water instead of the Mai Tai.
5) Chinese herbs to the rescue! There are 2 famous formulas that are commonly prescribed in the event that one has over indulged in food or drinks. They are available over the counter or from your local herbalist. We try to keep these on hand at the office. You may take them during the evening or at the end of the night before bed.
- Bao He Wan (Preserve Harmony Pill)
- Kang Ning Wan (Curing Pills, or Healthy Peaceful Pills)
6) Activated Charcoal. This “mops up” the toxicity of the alcohol, preventing it from wreaking havoc systemically. It can be taken during the course of the evening or at the end of it before bed. However, it should be noted that it will also "mop up” or counter other supplements and should be taken at least 2 hours away from supplements and medications. So, if you are including anti-oxidants or Chinese herbs in your prevention during the evening, then it is recommended to wait until the end of the night to take the charcoal capsules.
Even employing a few of these tips will keep your Sundays productive after a Saturday night out.